Friday, November 15, 2013

The looming silhouette

Because I don’t own Superman, I could not put him on the cover of Boys of Steel: The Creators of Superman. Yet the illustrator, Ross MacDonald, cleverly figured out a way to show Superman without actually showing Superman.


Trotted out the same trick (though with a twist...or rather a slant) for Bill the Boy Wonder: The Secret Co-Creator of Batman:


Speaking of silhouettes…

After a surprisingly difficult search, I was the lucky one to find Bill Finger’s yearbook photo (with a huge assist from Gerard Pelisson, de facto historian of DeWitt Clinton High School in the Bronx). That was in 2006.

After my 10/3/13 talk at Eagle Hill School in Greenwich, CT, Greenwich Time reporter John Breunig pointed out something that I had not noticed before.

Check out the gray shape behind the yearbook portrait of Bill (then Milton) Finger. Random design or freaky foreshadowing…?


No comments: